The Importance of Generator Maintenance
Many people purchase a generator for their home or commercial business because they want the peace of mind in case the electricity suddenly goes out. However, a lot of people forget that generators need to be maintained regularly, just like other mechanical equipment and cars.
Routine generator maintenance should normally be conducted by a licensed electrician in Trumbull, CT, but you can also check it out yourself on occasion to make sure everything is in working order. Remembering to do this maintenance once or twice a year will ensure your generator lasts a long time and will run efficiently and reliably when you need it the most.
Parts of generator maintenance
Generators need the standard service and tune-ups that other mechanical equipment does, including checking the oil, filters, spark plugs and battery. Additionally, the licensed electrician you hire in Trumbull, CT to service your generator should tighten your generator’s valves and check the voltage, hertz and RPM outputs as well as the gas pressure. All of these things will contribute to the properly functionality of your generator and can help reduce potential breakdowns.
Maintenance should be performed on your generator at least once every year, but should be done closer to every six months if you run it a lot. Some of the benefits of servicing your generator include:
- Ensures reliability: Regular generator maintenance ensures that your generator will be available to do its job and provide reliable electricity to your home or business whenever you need it. If you fail to check the generator for a few years, you run the risk of it not turning on in the event of a power outage, potentially leaving you stuck without power for hours.
- Mitigates need for repairs: Not doing maintenance on your generator can lead to problems with the fuel system, like algae buildup and clogged fuel injectors, as well as dead batteries and other issues. These problems can be costly to repair and can even ruin your generator if they’re left untreated for too long.
- Extends lifespan: Because generators are larger investments, you’ll want your generator to run as long as possible before having to replace it. Proper generator maintenance can help you get the full possible lifespan out of your generator.
- Increases efficiency: Maintaining your generator can help it run more efficiently, which can lower your utility costs and keep your generator running for longer.
- Prevents carbon monoxide poisoning: In some instances, poorly maintained generators can accidentally release excess carbon monoxide into the air. If your generator is located too close to your home or building, you could be at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
If you own a generator and need a licensed electrician in Trumbull, CT to help you maintain it, give New England Electrical Contracting, Inc. a call! As an authorized Generac dealer, we are proud to offer sales, service and installation for residential and commercial generators. We even offer service contracts for your convenience!
For more than a decade, we’ve also offered customers a wide range of electrical services, including electrical upgrades, repair, installation and new construction wiring. Give us a call today to learn more!