The Dangers of DIY Electrical Work in Trumbull, CT
As a homeowner, completing common home improvement and maintenance projects on your own is often a great way to get the job done quickly, while also saving some money. However, while this is great for replacing an air conditioner filter or a leaky sink, the same standard doesn’t apply to completing electrical work in Trumbull, CT. Attempting these projects on your own has the potential to be incredibly dangerous, as they require both special training and knowledge. One small mistake could be deadly for an inexperienced homeowner. Not only can a DIY electrical job be dangerous, but it may also leave you with thousands of dollars’ worth of repair costs.
Read on to discover six reasons why electrical work is one home improvement project that should be left to the professionals:
- Fire: An overloaded circuit could lead to a major home disaster if it were to overheat and cause any sparks behind the walls. The sparks would then quickly ignite the beams, dry wall and any insulation, which could result in a major house fire. A professional electrical will know the signs to watch out for to avoid this problem.
- Code violations: Do you know you need to follow certain codes when you attempt any major electrical work? A professional will! Avoid paying steep fines and repair costs for any violations by hiring a professional to do the work correctly the first time.
- Electrocution: Saving a few dollars is never worth risking your life. Electrocuting yourself while attempting a repair could easily be fatal. Don’t let a stupid mistake, such as forgetting to check that the current is off or touching the wrong wire, end your life or leave you with serious injuries.
- Building permits: Nearly every city requires that a permit be obtained for certain types of electrical work to ensure that it is completed correctly. Whatever amount of money you saved by doing the work yourself won’t be worth it when you’re faced with steep fines for failing to obtain a permit.
- Expensive repairs: A major mistake can quickly lead to a costly repair. Accidentally installing even one wire incorrectly will leave you with no choice but to hire a professional to repair the problem. This will likely end up being significantly more expensive than the initial costs ever would have been. Save yourself both the time and money by hiring a professional from the start.
- No insurance coverage: One of the best parts of having a certified and licensed electrician perform any electrical work is the guarantee that their insurance policy will cover any unexpected damage costs. You don’t have that same luxury when you attempt to do it yourself. Most insurance companies won’t cover any damages resulting from a fire caused by work completed by an unlicensed electrician.
When it comes to electrical work, it’s always better to hire a professional electrician from New England Electrical Contracting, Inc. to avoid any mistakes that could be both expensive and dangerous. We’re available 24 hours a day so you’ll never be forced to attempt a dangerous DIY repair job. If you need to have electrical work in Trumbull, CT completed this winter, we hope you’ll give us a call!