5 Home Electrical Maintenance Tips for This Winter
Wintertime in the Northeast can be a trying time for homeowners who are unaware of the various home electrical system maintenance items they need to follow. Keeping up with these tasks can ensure your home is safe and functioning properly throughout the season.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when it comes to your home’s electrical systems during the winter:
- Check all of your circuit breakers and GFCI outlets for tripped breakers or other problems. Checking them regularly will help identify any potential issues before they become big, potentially dangerous, problems.
- Inspect all wiring connected to exterior outlets and make sure that it is free from cracks or fraying. Exterior outlets are exposed to the elements and must be maintained appropriately to avoid potential hazards.
- Regularly inspect all extension cords, power strips, and surge protectors for any signs of damage such as exposed wiring or loose connections. This should be done both inside and outside your home as these types of accessories tend to deteriorate over time due to being used in wet weather conditions and extreme temperatures.
- Make sure that all outdoor lighting fixtures remain securely fastened they do so they don’t fall off due to snow or rain build-up on their mounts or socket boxes. Additionally, check that no water has gotten into their sockets causing corrosion buildup and higher resistance between connections
- Finally, if you have any carbon monoxide detectors installed in your home make sure that their batteries are changed regularly during the winter months as non-functional detectors are one of the more common causes of fires in homes improperly heated by wood-burning stoves or gas-heating appliances.
By following these basic safety tips, you can ensure an easier winter season by avoiding potentially hazardous situations caused by poor maintenance of your home’s electrical systems. It may take an extra hour each month but this small investment of time could save you thousands in unnecessary repairs down the line – not to mention possibly saving lives!
We’re happy to evaluate your electrical needs and offer a custom consultation for improving your electrical system, safeguarding your home and belongings, and even installing generator power backup for the peace of mind your family deserves. Get in touch with New England Electrical Contracting today.